My hair changes colour more often than it stays the same. I talk about social issues that need talking about, but sometimes I get angry and talk about other things too. I tweet too, but in a lot less space: http://twitter.com/#!/mnchameleon

29 July 2011

boehner's bill

I'm watching the live vote of the House bill. I like watching votes, no matter the bill - I enjoy the adding up of numbers to get to the magic pass number.

It passed 218-210 - one more than needed to pass.

It passed because Boehner agreed to add the constitutional amendment provision: that the debt ceiling cannot be raised a second time UNLESS Congress approves and sends to the states for ratification, a balanced budget amendment.

As if anyone needed any more proof that the Tea Party is willing to hold anyone - even their own party and leaders - hostage to get what they want. Which makes me feel sorry for Boehner, even if just a little. Because I think it's safe to say that without those tantrum throwing Tea Partiers, we wouldn't be on the brink of default. Is that really a risk to take simply to get everything you want?

Especially as it's a futile want, as the bill now heads to the Senate to die?

I understand politics better than most of my friends, but this I can't even comprehend at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment